Let’s face it, there is a lot of fear and panic in the air. We can’t get away from news on the novel coronavirus COVID-19, which often details how many people have died, the locations of the latest outbreaks, and the many different ways things can go wrong. It’s hard not to feel an overall sense of doom and gloom during this time.
The problem with fear and panic is that is causes anxiety, and anxiety is not good for our immune systems. Lissa Rankin, MD, reminds us that if “you get stuck in cycling anxiety, fear, and panic, it puts your nervous system into stress response, disables your body’s self-healing mechanisms, and actually makes you more susceptible to things like viruses.” Right now, we need to be taking care of ourselves and boosting our immunity to this nasty virus in all possible ways. This includes keeping our nervous systems calm and our anxiety low.
But how do we stay calm in this madness? How do we stay centered when it feels like the world is spinning out of control?
A well-balanced wellness routine can help maintain a healthy immune system, and CBD can be a part of that. Here’s how it works… cannabinoids from the hemp plant (like CBD) interact with the endocannabinoid receptors in our central and peripheral nervous system which help maintain balance in the body and keep a healthy state of being. We love CBD because it’s easy to take, accessible, and a whole plant medicine.
So, during these dire times, consider adding CBD to your wellness routine, along with a mix of other holistic preventions and internal protections. It’s important to keep yourself as healthy as possible to have a better chance of staying immune to this awful virus. Here are 10 things you can do to stay calm and fight this virus.
10 ways to stay calm and fight the Coronavirus with CBD
- Incorporate your favorite CBD product with your normal daily wellness routine. Any of these would work. Take it in the morning and/or before bed.
- Eat lots of veggies and whole foods. A healthy diet will help your immune system stay propped up from all the natural vitamins and minerals in good food.
- Go out in nature. Sunshine, trees, and singing birds can calm anxiety in a quick 10-minute dose.
- Move your body. About five minutes of exercise can stimulate anti-anxiety effects. Put on your favorite song and dance it out or take a walk with your dog. Just move.
- Listen to music. When a body is stressed it is often tight and wound up. Music can help your body relax and reduce overall anxiety.
- Connect with your loved ones. Surrounding yourself with people you love can boost endorphins, oxytocin, dopamine, and other healing hormones that fend off viruses naturally.
- Sleep. We need as much as we can get. This is when your body has time to restore and fight off threats.
- Stay away from the news. Constant stimulation of negative messaging will cause anxiety and stress. Choose to read a newspaper over social media and news pundits. Be creative about how to stay informed.
- Do something you love. Find your passion. Paint, read, sing, cook. Allow your mind to slip away into something that feeds you and doesn’t tax you.
- Breathe. Remember to breathe. Pretty simple but profound. Take 5 slow breaths and feel your breath in your body.
Imagine how you would feel if you created more calm in your life. Imagine a balanced wellness routine with CBD, lots of rest, more music, nature, and good people. You could feel more calm, more grounded, and more joyful. And most importantly, your immune system could stay strong so you can fend off the latest coronavirus. Take your health into your own hands. Calm your nerves. Create a CBD self-care plan.
Michelle Long, MA, has been studying health and wellbeing for the past 20 years. She has a master’s degree in Holistic Health Education, owned a Wellness Center for families, and has taught yoga and stress reduction to thousands of people over the years. Her passion is to help people take their power back by owning their health in a natural and holistic way. She is currently the Director of Health and Education for CBDPlaza.com.